Thursday, January 18, 2007

The cheese stands alone

In the last several days, various library bloggers have been posting about their plans to attend ALA's Midwinter Conference meeting (festivities) in Seattle January 19 - 24. Unfortunately, a trip to Seattle is not in my immediate future and I admit to some professional jealousy at being left behind. Last year I attended my first midwinter meeting in San Antonio last January and enjoyed the experience. As a newly appointed member of an Ad-Hoc EBSS committee I was able to meet and learn from my peers.

This year is professional development rich for academic librarians; there is an ACRL conference offering as well as ALA Midwinter and Annual (and a whole plethora of others). How do you decide what conference to attend? Not being able to take advantage of the midwinter meetings made my choice simple. If I am thrifty, I should be able to attend ACRL and ALA Annual. Additionally, both of those conferences are relatively close in proximity to my current residence in Ohio, making the travel costs less exorbitant. Though, with that said, I am sure there are many happy west coast librarians eager for midwinter in Seattle and bemoaning a cross country trip to Baltimore or Washington, DC.

Either way, safe trip to all who are traveling. And, if you are looking for something to read on the plane, Walt Crawford has posted Cites on a Plane on his blog for your enjoyment.

Tags: ALA Midwinter, ALA Seattle, Conferences, Academic librarians

No comments: