Thursday, February 11, 2010

Weather for the Birds

Adding to Diane's recent post of her snowy views from her office, I have to say I have had my share, too.

This morning, I watched a flock of robins decimate the berries that were hanging on a tree right outside my window. Within two hours or so, the robins cleaned the tree completely of the berries.

I imagine that they felt they hit the all-you-can-eat buffet motherload!

It was interesting to watch the teamwork (and occasional fighting) that took place. Some would perch in the tree and knock berries off; other would simply pluck and let them drop. Friends below scurried around the tree, grabbing whichever one they could reach; sometimes there was a tussle between two if they both grabbed for the same one.

I guess happiness for a robin in the winter is finding a tree of berries. At least someone saw some joy in all this chaos of snow!

No comments: