Sunday, April 11, 2010

CIL 2010 @ Computers in Libraries







I arrived at Regan National airport this afternoon and after deplaning on the tarmac and being shuttled to the main airport (odd, but obviously not unusual for this airport) was thrilled to have access to the Hyatt's complimentary hotel shuttle. In less than fifteen minutes we pulled up to the newly renovated hotel.

The hotel was ready for the onslaught of CIL attendees; check-in was quick, cheerful, and painless. After dragging my suitcase to my room, there was time to find the conference registration area and pick up my badge and materials.

Tomorrow's keynote will be Lee Rainie, Director, Pew Internet & American Life Project, "Information Fluency & Imagining the Internet." There are several Monday sessions that have caught my interest, my list includes Digital Commons: Building Digital Communities Using Digital Collections, Trends in Search & Search Engines, What Administrators Need to Know About Technology, and possibly the session featuring Google Wave.

I am considering a short exhibit trek and taking a few minutes to check links and obsess a bit before my presentation at 4:15 pm instead of participating in one of the 3:15 sessions. In the conference areas during scheduled conference times, there will be wireless available for participants - a definite plus and necessity for a computer conference. I have to admit to being a bit peeved I had to pay for a day pass to use the Internet in my room. I find it hard to believe a hotel of this size and stature does not offer free connection. On the plus side, there is a nice flat screen television in my room! I am definitely looking forward to tomorrow, conference day one.

No comments: