- Study finds undergrads hitting the books less often"With final exams approaching on many college campuses, it won't be hard to spot stressed-out students hunched over laptops, hunkered down in library stacks or fending off fatigue with Red Bull. Sure, they're dedicated and hard-working. Or maybe not." -- Bill Schackner, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, 12/12/10
- How Much is Enough?
"I’ve been hearing more and more, recently, about people dropping out of service and professional development opportunities because they cannot secure funding from their institutions to attend." --Amy Fry, ACRLog, 12/13/10
- Researchers Create 3-D Models with Flickr Photos
"An international team of researchers has developed a new way to turn photographs from the media-sharing sites like Flickr into intricate 3-D computer models using only a home computer." --Travis Kaya, Wired Campus, 12/10/201
- Search and Insert YouTube Videos
"Blogger supports drop-dead easy video-blogging -- if you have a video file, you can just upload it to Blogger. But when it comes to video-blogging, we know a lot of you also choose to embed YouTube videos to your post." -- Blogger in Draft, 12/14/10
- 10 Ways Social Media Will Change in 2011
"2011 will also be marked by new developments that will shape the very fabric of our behavior, culture and identity. These developments will challenge us to consider important questions about the future of our experience as connected people and consumers. Here are key trends to watch in the coming year." -- Ravit Lichtenberg, ReadWriteWeb, 12/15/10
- Generations 2010: Pew Internet & American Life Report
"There are still notable differences by generation in online activities, but the dominance of the Millennial generation that we documented in our first “Generations” report in 2009 has slipped in many activities." -- Kathryn Zickuhr, Pew Reserch Center, 12/16/10
- LibAnswers Help Libraries Win the Race
"Here’s a “too good not to share” story from our friends at Albuquerque/Bernalillo County (ABC) Libraries, who published a LibAnswer that received 11,000+ views in 5 days."-- Springshare Support Blog, 12/15/10
Thursday, December 16, 2010
Weekly reader wrap-up
Tomorrow is our last day before the holiday break. Those days are always full of general house-keeping , blog posts, changing phone messages, updating web information, and preparing my area for time off, are just a few tasks at hand. That said, here is my final weekly reader wrap-up for 2010 on a Thursday. Sometimes it is difficult to find items to share, while other weeks my reader overflows with interesting blog reading. This week fell in-between with so many end-of-year wraps in the mix; there are library, education, technology, and general interest links.