Friday, March 07, 2014

Weekly Reader: Spring Break

Riding High: Brian Flocca on the Remarkable Process Behind His Caldecott Winning 'Locomotive'
"Brian Floca’s commute to his Brooklyn studio might be by bike or on a train, but it’s the F train, not the majestic steam train we see in his 2014 Caldecott Award-winning book. And, when he gets to work, it will not be the grand expanse of prairie he sees from his window, but the Gowanus neighborhood—right next to his very own Superfund site, the Gowanus Canal." -- Robyn Smith, School Library Journal, 3/3/14

Tips for Writing Good Multiple Choice Questions
"I remember with horror and embarrassment the first multiple-choice exam I wrote. I didn’t think the students were taking my course all that seriously, so I decided to use the first exam to show just how substantive the content really was. I wrote long, complicated stems and followed them with multiple answer options and various combinations of them. And it worked. Students did poorly on the exam. I was pleased until I returned the test on what turned out to be one of the longest class periods of my teaching career." - Maryellen Weimer, Teaching Professor Blog, 3/5/14

The Amazing Adventures of the Comic-Book Dissertator
"If a picture is worth a thousand words, Nick Sousanis likes to joke, his dissertation has exceeded the standard length and then some. Sousanis, a sixth-year doctoral candidate in interdisciplinary studies at Columbia University’s Teachers College, gets to deliver that line a lot. He is, after all, doing something pretty gutsy with his academic opus: completing the whole thing in comic-book form." -- Syndi Dunn, Chronicle Vitae News, 2/28/14

No comments: