Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Irony in html

Preparing for serious library web page re-design, I recently attended two consecutive weeks of web editing workshops, Dreamweaver MX Level 1 and Dreamweaver MX Level 2, at Ohio State University's Office of Continuing Education in Columbus. Though I have experience with web editing and html coding, Dreamweaver is software I have thus far only used for updating, not creating. My last two weeks have been highly infused with web work.

Backing up a bit, it is not necessary to have a lot of web editing skill to work with Blogger; there are a great many of help pages for working with sidebars and comments. Sure, it helps to have rudimentary html understanding, but is not necessary. Back in the day, one of the first things I learned about html is most tags, especially active links, need to open AND close to function correctly. This evening I was editing the side bar and noticed all of the text directly below the "Library Humor" category was an active link for Overdue Media - Unshelved. Upon further inspection, the active link was not closed.

It is now.

I spent two full days learning Dreamweaver skills and the blog sidebar was done in by an open tag. That'll teach me!

An aside: I tried to show, illustrate, what tag it was but Blogger will not publish the post with an "html closing tag that has no opening tag".


Tags: , ,

No comments: