Thursday, November 01, 2007

Reviewers Needed!

Technical Services Quarterly (TSQ) published by Haworth Press is one of the premiere journals for the Technical Services world and I am privileged to be one of the editors for the column "Tech Services on the Web". My co-editors and colleagues, Del Williams and Frank Bove, search out web sites that we've found useful and review them. We cover the gamut of the technical services world: acquisition, cataloging, electronic resources, metadata services, librarian bloggers, training, tools, and whatever else passes our way.


This is a fun job! I tend to review 3 or more sites that are related to a specific topic, usually relating to my passions for metadata and cataloging. For example, I wrote a two-part review of 13 metadata resources in volume 24, nos. 1 and 2 (2006), including Dublin Core Metadata Initiative; Encoded Archival Description; An Introduction to Metadata; Introduction to Metadata: Pathways to Digital Information; and Metadata Reference Guide: A Guide to Metadata by the Metadata Advisory Group of the MIT Libraries. As an audio-visual cataloger, I focused on tools I use to perform my job in volume 24,no. 3 (2007), including Archival Moving Image Materials: A Cataloging Manual; Guide to Cataloging DVDs Using AACR2r Chapters 7 and 9; DVD Demystified; DVD Forum; The Internet Movie Database; and Online Film Dictionary. For an upcoming issue, I will be writing on sites that list commonly misspelled words in online catalog records. Anything is fair game.


Help Please!


Del, Frank, and I need your help! We are looking for reviewers. If you are interested in writing a review for our column, please contact us at tsq-reviews@karenplummer.com. If you’re not interested in writing reviews yourself but have a favorite site or sites that you’d like to share, please email us at the same address. We're looking forward to hearing from you!

No comments: