"Each August since 1998, Beloit College has released the Beloit College Mindset List. It provides a look at the cultural touchstones that shape the lives of students entering college this fall." -- Mindset List 2014Here are a few favorites, in no particular order, from the 2014 List:
- Few in the class know how to write in cursive.
- Email is just too slow, and they seldom if ever use snail mail.
- Parents and teachers feared that Beavis and Butt-head might be the voice of a lost generation.
- J.R. Ewing has always been dead and gone. Hasn’t he?
- Having hundreds of cable channels but nothing to watch has always been routine.
- They’ve always been able to blast off with the Sci-Fi Channel.
Oddly enough Beavis and Butt-head, along with the Angry Beavers, were a topic of discussion at a family lunch on Sunday; they were a favorite of my nephews. Despite the fact that Sci-Fi Channel is now SyFy (and home of personal favorites Warehouse 13 and Eureka, but I digress), the list includes interesting points for discussion. See also:
- Beloit College Mindset List, Chronicle of Higher Ed (8/17/10)
- What Your Frosh Don't Know, Inside Higher Ed (8/17/10)
- Beloit College Mindset List: Wear Wristwatch? Use Email? Not for Class of 2014, Huffington Post (8/17/10)