Monday, August 30, 2010

Well, of course

On overload from a busy day, my mind is wandering a bit as I decompress by watching Designed to Sell on HGTV.  Out of the blue, a technology a-ha moment. Interestingly enough, it highlights a study discussed today on the ALA Learning Round Table blog. But I digress.

The university web team recently updated the current students page. Included within the page is a new rss feed that features the library news blog. It's a great marketing function for the library - I've already scheduled posts for first year instruction sessions - and provides an opportunity for our blog news to reach a wider audience. When students select the headline, they are taken to a separate page generated by the Drupal module. I noticed, however, it displays only a snippet of each post as opposed to full text. Wondering if this was a function of the module, this morning I sent a help ticket thanking them for the prime real-estate on the student page and asking if it was possible to present the full post with links or if a link to the blog could be added within the created page.

A week into the new academic year, students in my technology class(es) have already successfully completed their first assignment. Several have worked ahead to the second and third assignment, publishing their first blog reflection post. Looking at their work, I noticed three elected to add social bookmarking links to post footers. I liked the idea and investigated how to add it to this blog and the library blog. Happily clicking the blog tab functions, I located what I needed and quickly adapted blogs footers to feature quick links (see below). While moving through tabs, I selected settings then site feed and noticed this blogs feeds were set to full, short, and short. Aha! I checked and the library news blog feed was set to short. I changed the feed option to full and saved. With luck, when we publish next the post will display as needed.

Now, what about the ALA Learning Round Table post? Today the blog featured a post titled Learn More, Do Nothing. The author discusses how taking a break from a problem and ruminating on it during quiet times often leads to success. Well, of course.

No comments: