Monday, July 23, 2012

Are you setting board covers on Pinterest?

When first working with Pinterest, I liked the idea of the most recent pin being the default board cover.  It was rather 'blog-esque;' but I admit being guilty of re-pinning to items to move them into a more prominent area. A few months later, Pinterest added the option of choosing your board cover (it can be easily changes). I was able to pick a favorite image to draw interest to any given board.  I've featured three boards for expanded interest, to encourage input from students; What we're reading will include additions by IRC student workers; Mock Caldecott Panels will be introduced this fall with invitations to participate in the conversation planned as part of the session; and Cumulative Tales will be used during a scavenger hunt and is already linked to a LibGuide.


I want the boards to be immediately recognizable, so I've been experimenting with creating and setting permanent "covers" for three boards. Using a combination of personal photographs of the IRC and library second floor, clip art students (signed releases are required for actual students), and word art, I developed a simple conversational board cover using PowerPoint and saved the slide as an image.  I'm satisfied with the results - and the combination of set covers verses newest image displayed covers. Time will tell if the students feel the same.  Is anyone else manipulating their board covers on Pinterest?

No comments: