Friday, September 12, 2014

Ready for Banned Books Week?

For some reason, I often 'miss' Banned Books week. Maybe it is because Banned Books week is scheduled for September, this year it is September 21 - 27, and I am focused on getting the term off to a good start and training new student workers. Regardless, I find myself playing catch-up posting relevant information for students. Last year I created a Banned Books Week IRC Pinterest board.

Follow IRC's board Banned Books Week on Pinterest.

I updated last week and moved it to the top row (I routinely rotate boards to the top two rows to keep the page fresh). The free graphics for this year's BBW are clever; they make interesting visual presentation perfect for Pinterest and connect with college students. Who hasn't seen a tear-off sign on campus? With the images in mind, I decided it was time for a Banned Books Week LibGuide.


"Interested in learning more about Banned Books Week? There's a Banned Books Week LibGuide for that! The library guide presents an overview of  Banned Books Week history and challenged books, Library Resources and Internet Resources for celebrating Banned Books Week, links to frequently banned and challenged books for the last ten years - and - challenged classics,  an interactive timeline highlighting 30 Years of Challenged Literature, and the IRC Pinterest site." -- IRC News Blog

Blog posts are scheduled for late next week (IRC News Blog) and the first day of Banned books week (AU Library blog).  I'm considering promotion using the IRC Twitter account and ALA's #bannedbooksweek tag. Time will tell.  At least this year, I am ready for Banned Books Week.

No comments: