Monday, August 01, 2011

Getting ready for fall

Each semester I have the opportunity to present a Mock Caldecott session with one of the children's literature classes.  In addition to choosing titles that meet basic Caldecott critera (illustrator residence, year of publication, picture book for children), I focus on books that are new to the library juvenile collection; generally speaking, this group of students explore the books before they are placed into circulation. This year the scheduled session is in early September and I've been perusing newly arrived titles for inclusion.  One that caught - and held - my attention is Clink, by author Kelly DiPucchio and illustrator Matthew Myers.  The students will enjoy studying Myers artwork and are sure to be charmed by DiPucchio's storyline

I enjoyed the tagline on Myers site "Painting So Good You'd Swear He's Dead," so much that a screen shot of his web site is my picture this week ...


I have not selected all of the titles we are going to explore as of yet; I have a cart of juvenile books waiting to be ordered!  Here is a sampling of titles tagged for this session (in no particular order):
I'm looking forward to perusing Grandpa Green, Farmyard Beat, and The Sleepless Little Vampire when they arrive.

No comments: