Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Waiting to Explore Pintrest

"Pinterest lets you organize and share all the beautiful things you find on the web. People use pinboards to plan their weddings, decorate their homes, and organize their favorite recipes." About Pinterest
Ever since the ALAO conference in November, I've been considering ways to use Pinterest. During our session, Web Tools: The More Things Change, co-presenter (and Library Cloud Blogger) Sara Klink highlighted Pinterest and featured ideas on library use.

Intrigued by the possibility of catalog book links being a more visual entity, easier and quicker than finding and uploading images to the IRC news blog book features, I started to explore. The idea is simple, after locating a desired image, use the 'pin it' button (easily installed) to add an existing image or video to a board designated by the users.  Once there, the social element emerges and other users can 'repin' an item to their board.  When using an image from a web site, it's effectively linked back to the source.  Users are instructed to locate original source for pinning;  "Finding the original source is always preferable to a secondary source such as Google Image Search or a blog entry" (Pinterest Etiquette).

When searching for information on Pinterest and libraries, I found the following:
I'm currently waiting for my Pinterest invitation, I requested one via the web site a short time ago. Once it arrives - or I ask friends to send me an invite from their account - I'll post again.

No comments: