Saturday, August 11, 2012

Weekly Reader

7 Secret Advantages of the Speaker Who Smiles
"That speaker over there who's smiling...does she know a secret? Yes, seven of them: the secret advantages of the speaker who smiles. Ron Gutman summarized much of the research about the benefits of smiling in a 2011 TED talk, and I've reviewed it to share with you the points most relevant to speakers, along with some smiling tips I share with my trainees." -- Denise Graveline, Eloquent Woman, 8/1/12





Does PowerPoint Help or Hinder Learning?
"I’ve had some nagging concerns about PowerPoint for some time now. I should be upfront and admit to not using it; when I taught or currently in my presentations. Perhaps that clouds my objectivity. But my worries resurfaced after reading an article in the current issue of Teaching Sociology. I’ll use this post to raise some questions and concerns about the role of PowerPoint both in the classroom and in student learning experiences." -- , Teaching Professor Blog, 8/1/12

Confronting the Career-Development Conundrum: 5 Tips for Busy Managers
"Career development appears at the top of many lists. Unfortunately, they tend to be lists focused on what employees desperately want but are not getting from managers.As for managers, most appreciate the value of career development and really wish they could do it more frequently and more effectively. But let’s face it: A manager’s day-to-day reality is a kaleidoscopic blur of meetings, responsibilities and shifting priorities. Helping employees to develop and grow is one of many activities that is continually pushed out in time to that elusive “someday” that too rarely comes." --Julie Winkle Giulioni, SmartBlog on Leadership, 8/8/12

No comments: