Monday, October 04, 2010

YouTube Partnership Program

This morning I had the following email from the YouTube team:

Your video Google Docs - Creating Shared Link for Your Spreadsheet might be eligible for the YouTube Partnership Program, which allows you to make money from playbacks of your video.

If your video is approved, we'll start placing ads next to the video and pay you a share of the revenue as long as you meet the program requirements.

We look forward to adding your video to the YouTube Partnership Program.

Thanks and good luck!
The YouTube Team

Generally I would view this type of message spam, so I was hesitant, also known as highly suspicious, regarding its validity. The video in question is a 43 second clip created for my technology class; it illustrates how to create a shared link in Google Docs Spreadsheets. General stats reveal it has been viewed over 300 times, but considering four classes of 18 students each had access to the resource, if each of them watched an average of four times it would account for all the 'hits.' Oddly enough, YouTube Insight statistics ranks it as popular with 13-17 year old boys.

Mildly tempting, I am going to hold off on the opportunity at this time. The video is for educational purposes and while the bulk of my videos are embedded in Angel, I am not sure I want ads next to the content, especially when I do not know what type of ad may be optioned.

No comments: